Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Patio table revamp

I recently moved into a huge house, with my boyfriend, Muj, and his roommate, Lisa. Muj has two adorable dogs, and I have my awesome kitty. As with most dogs, when we eat meals, they are very interested in stealing your food. Surprisingly, between the three of us, we didn't have a dining room table. Dining tables are a must when you have sneaky, cute, little dogs that stop at nothing to eat your food. Moving is expensive, and we didn't really have the money to buy a new table. Luckily, my parents had an extra glass top patio table that has been in our family for years (my dad even remembers eating dinners at this table as a teenager) that they were willing to part with.
I wasn't a big fan of the fabric on the chairs, and as you can see, it was in desperate need of a coat of paint. But other than that, I knew it would work perfect as a dining table for us, and it wouldn't cost us anything. So I spent some time looking at Spoonflower and noticed that one of my favorite artists, Valentina Ramos, had a Spoonflower shop. She has so many amazing designs. After much debate, I decided to go with the Reverie fabric. I ordered the heavy cotton twill, so it would be sturdy enough to upholster.

Once the fabric arrived, I picked up some purple spray paint and got to work. I ordered more than enough fabric, so we used more than we needed and many staples from the staple gun to cover the old fabric. (Don't  look at the bottom of the chairs, its not pretty).

After many 6 cans of spray paint, and a sore pointer finger (I had no idea it would take so many!) I finally finished. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Thankfully my parents are okay with having purple grass for a while! Here's a picture of the table right after I finished it.
And here's what the table looks like today in our house. During the move there were some chips in the paint I still need to touch up. I might need to look into something like a top coat to avoid chipping in the future. Do you know of any ideas? 




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, that made a huge difference. It's really cute now! I haven't been brave enough to reupholster anything so far, but you're making me want to try it out on something.

I don't know about the topcoat for the chipping paint. All I know is that we once tried to seal our hutch with polyurethane, and that was a TERRIBLE idea because it created lots of nasty yellow streaks. Bleh. Had to sand and repaint the thing. If you get any good tips about a topcoat, I'd love to know.